Get on Board 2023, presented by AES Indiana, featured three virtual workshops throughout the month of June and an in-person event at Newfields on June 27. More than 100 non-profit organizations seeking board and volunteer talent were there to share opportunities for individuals seeking to become more engaged in the community.
If you are looking for ways to get involved, check out our Get on Board 2023 Non Profit Guide.
Questions about Get on Board? Contact Beth Perdue Outland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get on Board
June 27 – 4:30-6:30
4000 Michigan Road – Indianapolis, IN 46208
Tuesday, June 6 – Know Your Why
There are many pressing community issues and organizations in need of committed volunteer leaders. It can be difficult figuring out how to get involved, where to get involved, and how to best utilize your skills. One important step is figuring out your Why – the thing that motivates you and gives a sense of purpose to your community engagement.
In this interactive workshop, you will:
· Conduct an inventory of your personal values, skills, and passions
· Reflect on the impact you want to make in the community
· Begin developing a plan for putting your Why into action
Tuesday, June 13 – Board Basics
Nonprofit boards can be a little intimidating if you’ve never served on one before. During this interactive workshop we’ll talk through some board basics to help you better understand what is expected of board members and what board members should expect of the organizations they serve.
In this interactive workshop you will:
· Learn about different kind of nonprofit boards
· Learn about the responsibilities and expectations of board members
· Learn questions you should ask before joining a board
Tuesday, June 20 – What I’ve Learned Serving on a Non-profit Board
Serving on a non-profit board can provide the opportunity to both contribute to, and learn from, the experience. In this conversation, we will talk with people who have served as board members for organizations of varied sizes, scopes and missions about how they have impacted the causes they care about and what they have learned along the way.
In this interactive workshop, participants will:
· Consider the size and type of organization that is the best fit for them
· Learn what it means to be an “engaged” board member
· Identify ways to maximize both their impact and their personal growth through board service